View Single Post
Old May 16, 2017   #8
hockman4357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Good research. I've used Al's mix, though mine tends more toward 4:2:1 with MGMC Potting Mix in place of peat. It is truly oriented to drain well rather than retain moisture, and while it saved my crop during a long wet spring, it required twice-a-day watering in the dry heat of summer with big pepper bushes. Big toms are really thirsty. 15 gal pots will help a lot. If you're in the rain belt along the coast, the mix will do you very well. If you're on the drier east side, you might try want to test an alternative alongside.

#2 - that's a LOT of manure, and he wants to add more ?? and water on a schedule? I might try his mix in a couple of pots, but I'd be hesitant to carry through with the rest. But others here have more experience with large toms in containers than I. Let's see what they say.
I live in Roseburg, OR which is about 2 hours inland from the coast. Typically temps in the Summer run in the 80's and 90's with very little rain. Are you suggesting that your 4:2:1 mix would work better in my neck of the woods than the 5:1:1 mix?
hockman4357 is offline   Reply With Quote