View Single Post
Old September 21, 2017   #29
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
Both varieties (Colorado Star and Imperial Star) did pretty well for us. At first it looked like we'd be skunked because they were sorely afflicted with black aphids, which we mistakenly thought was soil splashup. Once we took care of that they started growing and producing, with a short lag for some hot weather. Once it started getting a bit cooler, they geared up and started producing again and are still going. If we had planted them somewhere with better soil, they'd probably go gangbusters. They're not sizable enough to sit down and eat one as a side dish with dinner, but quartered and cooked, they're quite nice. If my planting space wasn't so constrained, I think I could do very well with them.

I've tried overwintering the roots in a cold place in the house a couple of times, but so far it hasn't work.

Bravo for trying both. I'd love any size homegrown artichoke. What they sell here is not very fresh looking. There must be a reason that the local growers don't sell this vegetable at the farmers market.

I was thinking of getting a few buckets ready to keep inside. Well that saves me a lot of work

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote