View Single Post
Old November 18, 2010   #11
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

After several years of growing heirlooms in central Iowa and introducing/converting all my neighbors, we retired and moved to southeast Nebraska. I began anew the process in my small village. At first I was met with resistance because tomatoes are supposed to be medium sized, red, round tasteless things just like in the grocery store. A couple of years later there were six or eight converts. Last year I had more than twenty gardeners within driving distance asking for heirloom tomatoes.

Several times a year I have given gardening seminars and no matter the topic the audience (or maybe it's me) turns the subject to tomatoes. At a tomato tasting in August there were around sixty people who came to taste heirlooms. Several who I did not know brought their own heirlooms for the group to sample. The word is spreading. It has taken five years, but heirloom tomatoes are gaining in popularity in a previously 'hybrid only' part of the country. One of the most vocal proponents is our county extension educator.

I already have folks who want to know my variety plans for 2011. The Brownville Historical Society annual meeting includes a silent auction and for the fourth year I have been asked to donate tomato seedlings as an auction item. Last year the two five seedling donations brought in $35 each.

All they have to do is grown and taste and most people are hooked on heirloom tomatoes. I used to take tomatoes to the post office to give away; now lots of people are sharing heirlooms with their neighbors and friends.