View Single Post
Old May 18, 2016   #14
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Ginger, as Uncle Doss stated we coil a bare vine once they reach a certain height, this keeps production steady.

Big Van Vader, we grow them about 20 inches to two feet apart.
I think outside plants would benefit too, you can keep them well managed.
I do grow cherries, a few that is, and in the past I just let them grow. This year I will trim away inner insignificant shrubbage. LOL
I grow Mountain Fresh in the greenhouse, this year I pruned away shaded leaves to help keep disease under control, I want some air moving under them. I will post a pic of my MF cradle idea.
Delicious just does well for me and grows rather nice, but large fruit 1-2.5 lbs, some trusses get tomatoes trimmed off, I try to limit them to 5
The ones I love are not my best yielders, but are acceptable
Brandywine, Chapman, Yellow BW (Platfoot) Bear Creek, good yields there, KBX, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, it produces well, but the foliage gives me a wrestling match with Mg deficiency. The pics of the loaded plants are an F4 BW X Bloody Butcher that Sherry Sheisl and I have been working on, as is the orange tomatoes which is Green Giant x Juane Flammee. I will send out some F6's this year.
I do reuse mix in some greenhouses, except the experimental house, which is open 8 months.
I am not an expert, I appreciate the gesture, but I learn new stuff every year too. I went from simple dirt farming that I started 25 years ago, to trying to be a production grower, I get my fanny kicked quite often. However, I do have good friends at the Department of Agriculture.

Baja, I will need to recalculate weight, in the past, last year as a matter of fact, we got 50lbs from two vines. However, I think 25-35lbs is very attainable, I will let you know. Thanks for pointing that out.
Yes, follow HG's formula, I use much more than the bag says though, and need to re-balance with more Mg SO4, before I go nuts.

Steve, the old Horticulture guru up here just called it length of day syndrome, I think the long days results in ultra fast growth, and Mg is central to the Chlorophyll molecule. I don't have an answer, but can say that many varieties do not get so affected, but some like Crnkovic Yugoslavian are very susceptible. If I find out why, I will certainly let you know, I am going to increase MgSo4 even more, they are improving.

Thanks ya-all
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote