View Single Post
Old July 30, 2013   #72
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
David- Great post, analysis and write-up. I think the only concern one might have in drawing conclusions about the yield benefits of grafting is on whether your sample size of n=3 is sufficient, especially given the reversal on the single-stem RBW.

I'm curious how the taste/texture/quality compares between some of those fruits (grafted vs. non). I've heard it said that grafting may affect the flavor of its scion fruit, which seems to defeat the purpose. I'd say you're in a great position to do some side-by-side comparison tastings to put that assertion to the test.

-naysen
Definitely a work in progress, I did start with a few more plants but the gophers pulled a couple down before i trapped them all, last count 16. Next year I might do it differently, I was sort of interested in how single stemmed vs caged did production wise with and without grafting.

I hadn't thought of doing a taste comparison as I sort of assumed they'd be the same but I can see now there might be a difference. I was sort of surprised by the size difference between the grafted and ungrafted caged plants. I guess it makes sense if you think that a given leaf area can support a certain amount of fruit and that I had larger numbers set in the grafted caged plant.
I just did a taste test by going back and forward between two (grafted ungrafted Red brandywine) with small pieces cut off. Can't say I saw a big difference but I'm not a great taste discriminator anyway, they all taste good to me especially still warm from the vine.

The single stemmed plants don't seem to show too much difference and even the Red Brandywine seems better ungrafted. The actual plants at this stage look better in the grafted versions but whether that will translate to more fruit I don't know, should know i'd guess by my next update in a month's time. Have definitely gone thru the first flush of harvest, I'm interested in how well they keep producing at this point.

I started harvesting the single stemmed plants probably two weeks before the caged unpruned plants.
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote