View Single Post
Old December 31, 2018   #38
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Zendog:
Hope to get an update from you on how your grafting is going. I'm in Arlington every other month or so on business. Pretty area.
Hi,
I haven't been on the site much and didn't see this earlier, but I would say the grafting was very successful and I'll do it again this year. All of my grafted tomatoes survived the entire season, even though about half of my ungrafted tomatoes succumbed to some malady or another. I grew them all as single stems and I think that style helped as well, given better air flow and the fact that as diseased leaves showed up and were pulled it left the healthy tops away from any disease or splashing from the rain.

Maxifort was good, but probably put too much energy into vegetative growth and delayed fruiting on some types. RST-04-106-T seemed to work on everything I tried it on and I'll definitely be using that again. Maxifort would be great for growing under cover where you'd have a longer season, since it kept pumping out big fruit right up to frost whereas I noticed the fruit getting smaller on my ungrafted and RST-04-106-T grafted plants. I might try Maxifort on Lucky Tiger and Druzba, which i find less vigorous and might benefit from the added umph.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has tried DRO141TX, which I see is listed at Johnny's. It seems like it might be a good alternative to Maxifort and worth trialing against RST-04-106-T. I just wish I could find a place to buy a smaller pack than the 50 which is the smallest at Johnny's.

My one disappointment was that I was hoping the grafting might reduce the BER on Opalka. But I seemed to have the same amount of BER on the Maxifort and RST-04-106-T and the ungrafted plant I grew. Oh well, can't have everything.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote