View Single Post
Old May 1, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Thanks for the info, Carolyn. As I wrote, Victory Seeds was my source for the seeds. I had already looked on Tatiana's TomatoBase, and read some of the early 20th-century publications that describe Marvelosa as a favorite of Southern truck growers, before opening this thread. Since you seem to be disparaging the variety (have you grown it?), I'll mention that Craig's 2007 list of varieties from the USDA describes many as "ho hum," "so so," "boring," "undistinguished," and "pretty good." "A good variety" sounds like high praise indeed! (YMMV.) Again, if anyone has firsthand experience of this variety, I'm all ears!
I lost the post I was doing here when I went to fetch a link to use here. So I'll try to remember most of what I originally posted.

No, I am not disparaging Marvelosa,I have grown many in the Marglobe family as well as the different colored Ponderosas,including the pink.

This is the link with the comments and list of what Craig got out of the USDA,aka the PC GRIN program

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ight=Marvelosa

And I didn't see many adjectives he used at all to describe the varieties,referring to your examples above,such as ho hum,boring ,etc.I did see he wrote good after Marvelosa.

In that link you'll also see that I made a comment that while Craig made a list of what he got out,I did not.

But both of us got many varieties out of the PC GRIN, both of us SSE listed them so that others would have access to them,and both of us described many of them in a newsletter called OFF THE Vine which I started and asked Craig to join me.

But I never grew Marvelosa by itself,to answer your question directly..

Carolyn