View Single Post
Old January 27, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Biodegradables. It reminds me of a little gift I received from someone, a cute little wooden box (4"x4"x4") with a sunflower seed in it and some peat. It says, start the seed in the peat in the box, then plant the box with the seedling directly into the garden soil later, and the natural wood would rot and become fertilizer for the plant, no kidding! When? You wonder who would produce such a brilliant product that makes zero sense, and for my husband to buy it?

Then there are some ideas that may work. For carrots, because of the deep tap roots, seedlings should not be too large before transplanting, and roots are not to be disturbed. To achieve that, sow 4-8 seeds in even distance from each other, per pot( 3x6"). Rather than separating each seedling to transplant, just dump the whole container out and plant the whole block in the soil. Thin out some as baby carrots to make room for bigger fellows to grow.
How about sowing seeds into paper tubes, filled with starter mix?
Bio degradable I have some of those little nets in the yard from years ago.
They went from Styrofoam clam shells at work to biodegradable clam shells to eat out of.
What a joke they are being put in a landfill that stays frozen all year long.
They will be able to dig that place up 20 thousand years from now and it will look the same as the day they buried it.

Transplanting carrots I have had good luck with as I would dig up the whole dirt ball and move it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote