View Single Post
Old December 24, 2018   #47
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Well, this county has one less coyote. This afternoon, just before dark, I saw one sneaking up on one of our newest calves. It was a long shot, but my 30-06 is sighted in at 150 yards and I had loaded in some 110 gr hollow points just for this kind of situation. When I dropped the hammer, the results were instantaneous and I think very humane given the circumstances. I won't show the results, because it would serve no purpose. The remains resemble a damaged canine rug. I put some of the remains on fence posts at the back of the pasture because the local game warden had told me that tends to keep the live ones away for a while.

We've lost two calves in the last three months. And, I know the coyotes are just trying to make a living. I've tried to allow them to "pass thru" as long as they do that. But when they lock on to one of the stock and go into the stalk, I can't let that go.

It doesn't feel good when you have to protect property, but it has to be done. If we don't do something, then we might as well just give up and sell the herd. I'm not inclined to give up.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Wish me Happy Birthday tomorrow.

Happy Birthday. You could get yourself a Great Pyrenees...or possibly a donkey. They are both supposed to be great defense against coyotes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote