View Single Post
Old March 31, 2016   #19
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Keep me updated on the string hanging down loosely to the ground. I'm wondering how the vines would do in the wind. I have one variety of pole bean the leaves of which can be 12" long and 10" wide. I'm thinking they would want go sailing if they weren't anchored.
Hi Tormato,

The root of the bean plant is the bottom anchor. Once the bean plant grabs the string and climbs, everything tightens up. The string is tied on the top support by a knot so it really works great, basically it's fencing made from string that is as good as any wire trellis. Never had one break or any other issue with wind.
The strings themselves will blow in the breeze until the bean plant grabs it to anchor them which usually happens overnight (I don't hang the strings until the plants are a few inches tall).

I actually cleaned out my beds this past weekend and the strings are still there (supported by dead vine now removed) - a bit tangled at the bottom - I may evaluate and even reuse some of the string this year, but then again string is pretty cheap. We've had some 70+ mph gusts through here this Winter and 15-20 sustained winds is nothing but normal for this area. No issues.

Last edited by rhines81; March 31, 2016 at 10:28 PM.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote