View Single Post
Old March 25, 2009   #9
catalinsv
Tomatovillian™

I'm back with construction details:

-Mark the canister using a marker in a way that the top will get two rounded sides on length
-Make the cut using a jigsaw

Image 1

-Prepare the 110 PVC pipe by cutting it at 7cm length, inserting the 4 screws at 1cm from the edge, and drilling a few 10mm holes to permit the water to reach the mix. The 4 screws will hold the cutted top.
-Prepare the cutted top to become mix holder. Mark on the center the 110mm hole for the PVC pipe, perform the cut and make also 10mm holes.

Image 2

-Fit together the mix holder and the 100mm PVC pipe and displace them inside the canister. If is needed modelate by cutting the shape of the mix holder to stay inside the canister untensioned.

Image 3
Image 4

-Displace the 40mm pipe in a corner, perform two holes needed for tighten it with the plastic tie stripe. On the submerged half make first a few holes necessary to get an air blanket above the water level, because there is no overflow hole to allow the air inside.

Image 5

-Cut a piece of an old useless mosquito net and displace it on the 110mm PVC pipe, than attach the mix holder
-Displace the mix holder and the pipe in the canister and tighten it with the plastic tie stripe. I also used as shown in the picture two polystyrene parallelepipeds about 6cm height as spacers for the mixholder, in that way will not allow it to bend inside due to the weight of the mix.

Image 6

-Displace on the mix holder the mosquito net with a 110mm hole cutted with a scissor.

Image 7

-Now you can put the mix inside.
-The last step is to observe the level of the mix holder and to mark the maximum level for the water at 1cm below the mix holder. In that way you will have an air blanket above the water that permit water circulation if is necessary.

Finally you will get HERE.

Notes:
-Because of the rounded shape, almost all cuts and drills will be performed on non flat surfaces. So, if you are not experienced with the jigsaw and the drill, ask someone more skilled to help you to avoid any injuries. Safety first!
-There is no overflow hole because I use the system indoor, in that way I avoid spilling water.
-The canister is white to see better the water level. If you can’t find white, choose any color that permit you to see easily the water level.
-Because of the white color I marked with a black marker the edges for better imaging in the pictures.
-The mosquito net is used to avoid falling the mix into water. Also it can be useful when is time to remove the seedlings from the EarthTainer by pulling it a little for easy access at the root.
-At the first fill I get inside about 4-5 liters of water, and after 24 hours the system already use 1,5-2 liters from it so I have to complete until the max sign.
-If you are uncomfortable to use the cutted top and the 110mm PVC pipe, you can use instead 3cm polystyrene to make a support shaped like the bottle separators in a wine case. With a lot of holes needed for water leveling and circulation.

Remarks:
-The dimensions I use can be modified as you need, I believe that the only requirement is the 25-30% water and 70-75% mix approximatively.
-Any other critics, suggestions and improvement ideas are welcome.
-For further questions just ask me.
-I will try to post later a few pictures to see how system works for seedlings.
-And not at last I have to mention again that I was inspired by Mr. Ray Newstead EarthTainer Project (please visit his website), so all the credits goes to him, the only thing I did is to use my skills and imagination to convert it for seedling growing. I use scrap materials left from other jobs in that way I did a sort of recycling and I encourage you to do the same when you are making DIY projects.

Best Regards to all Tomatovillians,

Catalinsv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3190039.jpg (152.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg P3190040.jpg (228.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg P3190044.jpg (124.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P3190045.jpg (123.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg P3190042.jpg (211.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P3190046.jpg (85.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg P3190050.jpg (129.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg P3230052.jpg (239.0 KB, 98 views)
catalinsv is offline   Reply With Quote