View Single Post
Old July 21, 2016   #156
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I kind of wish my Ambrosia Gold was a bit of a dwarf. It is actually a monster. I like the loads of fruit it is putting out but it is going crazy big. I have it along side 2 other ambrosias and it is one big jungle. What a great sweet taste those golds have.
Are all Ambrosia Golds considered unstable?
I assumed the seed I had was stable ( got it in a swap), but I only grew it out once and used it the first season as the female`mother`plant in the cross. When Marsha grew out 2 plants of the F1, we were surprised to find two different colours, a pink and a purple. if both parents are stable, the F1 offspring should all be the same (if you go back to the beginning of this thread you can see)
Basically I am certain that the Captain lucky I had was stable as I have grown it numerous times and so we surmised that the Ambrosia gold I had was not. That doesn`t mean all of the ambrosia gold seed out there is unstable. But the ambrosia gold seed I grew out was either unstable or an F1 accidental cross although I think that is unlikely since the plant I grew out had all the characteristics of what ambrosia gold is supposed to be. It is a great tomato, excellent taste, big and vigorous, early and makes pretty trusses which is why I used it in this wide cross with the tricolour beefsteak Captain lucky who I used for the potato leaf, great taste and possibility of interesting colour. The goal of this project is a great tasting fancy colour (ie not red) Potato leaf cherry tomato.
KO

Last edited by KarenO; July 21, 2016 at 07:35 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote