View Single Post
Old January 9, 2018   #52
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.thad View Post
I've heard about Sweet Aperitif and Matt's Wild Cherry, but they are currants. When I used to grow SS100 they would get currant size at the end of the season and I ended up not bothering. I just like having a mouthful when I eat no matter what it is. I take big bites. Different parts of your mouth pick up different flavors and I like to get the full effect.

So after many of you have chimed in, I think I've come to the conclusion that nothing compares to Sungold for it's sweetness/uniqueness combination. It might be better to go for cherries that have a great flavor more so than flat out sweetness. With that said, I'm looking at Blush, one of the Bumblebees (instead of Isis Candy?) as a bi-color (now I have to decide on which Bumblebee), and I'd still like to try AO UBX.

I'm still trying to find out what that "Cream" cherry is. I emailed Tomatofest. Waiting for a reply.

Also, I grew Black Cherry years ago along with SS100 and Sungold, and it was almost inedible to me. It had very little sweetness and was almost bitter. Many many people list it as their favorite, so I'm tempted to give it another try just in case it was mislabeled or something else was off. It's funny though, how some people have a taste for a particular variety and to others the taste is quite objectionable. I gave a guy at work a bag of cherry toms last year containing Sungold, Sugar Gloss (never heard of them before so bought a plant and they were not really sweet ... plain and unexciting) and Green Grape (which I grew for the first time last year because I read good things, but turned out to be bland) and he ended up preferring the GG! Over Sungold much less!

I also wonder why a variety can taste different year to year depending on conditions, but I've never heard or read anyone say that about Sungold. It tastes the same every year for me no matter what.
Aperitif & MWC are not currants, they are cerisiforme's, a distinct cherry tomato.
I think you don't but if you do or someone else does want a currant size, try Coyote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160829_192113.jpg (312.5 KB, 207 views)
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote