View Single Post
Old September 26, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I must say I didn't know anything about it until I saw them make corned beef on the some TV cooking show with celery juice in a restaurant.
Before I was baffled as to how they made the bacon.
My wife was making me buy it and it didn't taste like just plain old salt cured bacon.

Just using salt to cure meat is a dangerous way to do it unless you do it right and take care in what you do.
I do it sometimes as well as a few other people here but it is our butts on the line and we do it right.
Some of the most expensive hams in the world are just salt cured and hung up to dry for months.
I dont see this type of care and pride going hand in hand with mass produced products.
The people that did our hog butchering smoking and curing were Spanish.
Not Mexico Spanish but from Spain.
No FDA permits or any certifications no inspections what so ever.
This is how honest and caring they were.
One time they called and told us they(think) they may have ruined our hog and wanted us to come over and pick out one of their live hogs to replace it.
Their son was my age and we were very good friends in grade school, one of the few he had.
He wasn't a bad kid he was just Spanish, catholic and had a strange sounding name so the kids in school stayed away from him even though he was blonde haired and blue eyed.
This was in Missouri.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote