Thread: J&L Gardens
View Single Post
Old November 10, 2013   #41
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone -

It sounds like the Sugar Drop Bill and Robin got is falling into two groups - either lighter gold and pointed or deeper orange and round. The right one is the lighter one with that little point. I grew four this year and didn't see the other type. And it's great to get some idea about production on that tomato and others. Any any observations about possible disease resistance (as tlintx noted) or the lack of it is good to know.
We had a summer that started out hot and dry and then took a cooler turn. That meant that anything over 75 days was a bit later, but then they really came on. Unfortunately, an early freeze the second week of October took most of our tomatoes out, but I saved quite a bit of seed. Charley - it was great to visit! We just made it to three more markets after that.
This year there are a half dozen new varieties we are releasing for trials. They should be stable, but this is always an adventure. I was also working with some cold-tolerant strains and so I have the breeding stock for those and some wild tomatoes I used. Everything is updated in the main catalog and I'll post a revised list a bit later. Thank you for all your observations.
Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote