View Single Post
Old November 21, 2016   #4
Perennial Guru
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4jess View Post
I do indeed have records, and failed miserably in my researching before posting. My best guess is that this was part of my Sample Seed Shop mix, though I can't find anything that would match the shape and appearance on the site. I had various pumpkins from Ferry Morse, Johnny's, and Burpee in the same area, though none of the single varieties planted seem to match.

This pumpkin looks very much like a slightly larger, less ribbed and more elongated Long Island Cheese to me, which was a type that could have been in the Sample Seed mix. If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd really appreciate any leads!
It's not uncommon for mixes offered by seed companies to include a variety or two not offered individually in their catalog. Sometimes these prepared mixes include some varieties in stock that are beginning to drop in germ rate or have slow sales.

It's very hard to identify specific pumpkin and squash varieties from fruit, but this looks like it could be Dickinson, a Cucurbita moschata variety. Dickinson is an OP variety.
Perennial Guru is offline   Reply With Quote