Thread: Stunted growth?
View Single Post
Old July 2, 2017   #24
jillian
Tomatovillian™

This is how I grow, it works well for me and I am sure there are many different methods that would give you successful results.

Container size is important. I grow larger indeterminate varieties in 15 to 20 gallon containers, I like the fabric pots but you will need to water those more often.

I start with the standard potting mix and amend with my own homemade compost, worm castings, espoma garden tone and a small amount of dolomite lime. For the 15-20 gallon pots I add 2 to 3 shovelfuls compost, about 3 cups worm castings, a handful or 2 of lime and 5 cups garden tone.

When I plant the tomato I put a handful each of Epsom salt and worm castings into planting hole. After a month or so I scratch in more garden tone, worm castings and compost if I have it, along with Epsom salt occasionally.

I also water every couple of weeks with fish emulsion, for 10-12 weeks after that i don't bother.

Of course growing in containers requires mulching heavily.

I try to grow as organic as possible but this year I am trying the shake and feed MG, it's just difficult to scratch in the garden tone all throughout the season. I use about half of the recommended amount. This product does contain kelp, bone meal, feather meal and castings as well as microbes to feed the soil so I can at least feel good about that. So far so good!

https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-3...shake+and+feed

This is pretty much all I do, I know there are some that say no you can't use compost or worm castings in containers etc. etc., but this is what I do and it works for me.
You will probably have a lot of advice and you will pick and choose and through trial and error you will find what works best for you.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote