View Single Post
Old May 19, 2013   #72
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Oh yeah, I may have to order more before too long. Even though I am using the tree fertilizer at about 2 tsps per gallon I am still using it up very fast because I am using it on my roses, peaches, citrus and all of my wife's flowering plants and ferns with great results. I also shared a gallon of the Texas Tomato Food with a friend who is a big tomato grower and he is liking the results with his plants. So with all the plants I have now and the ones going into the ground in the next few weeks I will run out of the TTF before too long unless the fusarium kicks in and gets rid of a lot of my grafted plants. Usually by this time of the year half my plants are starting to die so even though I didn't plant my usual 50 plants in March followed by 20 in April and 20 in May and so on, I still have more large plants in good shape than most years. Right now the Vegetable Food is holding out the best since I'm only using it on seedlings, peppers, cucumbers and squash now. I've got a feeling it will go really fast in the fall and winter when I'm growing brocolli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, onions, carrots, cauliflower and lettuce.

I've got another couple of questions. At what temperature does the living part of the fertilizer start dying? I'm asking about both heat and cold. How long is it at its most potent when kept at room temperature? Would it be helpful if you are keeping a container for an extended period to feed the bacteria in it with something like a dab of molasses once in a while?

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote