View Single Post
Old February 13, 2007   #1
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Default Care of potted fig trees

I have three fig trees that I am attempting to keep in large containers....long term. I know it can be done, and so far I've had them a couple of years. They have done fairly well so far....only produce a couple dozen fruit each though (and the mockingbirds get those Two are Brown Turkeys, and one is Celeste.

My questions are: I'm needing to repot this spring into larger containers, with fresh soil. I know some container growers of fruit recommend periodic root pruning....has anyone had experience with this? Tom may have some suggestions, since I know he is a Bonsai enthusiast!

Also, does anyone have any tips for amending the soil for figs in pots? I want my trees to stay healthy and to continue to produce some fruit.

BTW, they are outside under a large oak right now...overwintering. They were fine last year...and I just left them outside. I do give them deep mulch and the protection of the oak tree while they're dormant.

Any suggestions at all about the growing of figs in pots would be appreciated! And I really would like to know more about root pruning and if it's necessary...

Thanks guys!

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote