View Single Post
Old February 9, 2017   #46
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I had broadcasted some mustard greens seeds in my garden, in November. They germinated and grew slowly. They lived many night with lows going down as low as to 23F. But then once we had lows down to 16F. They got toasted. I think 20F is what they can survive.
I think it would be better to germinate in garage. and then slowly harden them up and plant in the garden. Right now I am germinating salad greens in my cold frame.
The 15 days forecast looks goo, except for tomorrow night with low dipping down to 27F.
My chives and parsley are coming along. The most cold hardy plants are garlic. They did not budge at 16F.
I have had mustard survive lower than that but other times mid 20s will kill them. It all depends on the wind and length of time it stays really cold. This year 22 wiped out all my mustards but it was windy and the temps were below freezing right after dark and didn't get back above freezing until noon the next day with winds blowing like a gale. I had all my stuff except onions and mustard under hoops for those nights but even had some of my broccoli killed despite the tightly closed hoop. Everything that was seriously damaged was on the north side of the hoops where the wind was just sucking the heat out of the enclosure. I have had these same hoops have no damage under them with temps in the teens. The only thing under the hoops that showed no frost damage was Brussels sprouts and carrots.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote