View Single Post
Old March 31, 2007   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have found that strawberries like most other berries taste the best grown in poor well drained soil with very little water.
The ones at the store are horrible just like the melons.
We grew all kinds of berries in MO and OK and we never replanted they just froze back and in spring they came back up.
They were the sweetest strawberries I have ever had.
Houston is just to wet for a good berry.
One would do best if they planted them in a strait sandy loam soil so the excess water can drain away.
A good cactus mix might even do well!!!!
The best berries around here are found in rocky lime stone soil on hill sides.
(((Growing right along with the cactus.))))
In Alaska the darn things can take over the whole yard like a weed, so I wouldn’t worry about freezing.

Remember those berry farms grow for productivity not flavor so you wont find the best berries there.
A good strawberry will taste almost like sugar if they are left to ripen on the plant.
The store bought ones are picked green or just blushing for shipment.
They contain no starch so they WILL NOT make any more sugar or get sweeter after picked.
A final note, I would think that the lack of flavor is from too much water not the variety that is grown.

Just like a watermelon or cantaloupe.
As if you can’t tell, I’m real ticked off at the fruit that is in the store, most folks don’t even no what the real thing really tastes like or what it is supposed to be like ripe.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote