View Single Post
Old August 23, 2016   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Amideutch: I have often considered the styrofoam containers. Every time I pass them by, I notice them, but think they look too small. I would gladly buy some larger ones if I could find some. Could you tell a difference when you wrapped the styrofoam around your pots? Had you had them exposed without it before?
I never had any problems growing Indeterminate tomato varieties in 26 Quart Styrofoam Ice chests as you can see by my pictures. Plants can be supported by using the "Florida Weave technique" or suspending a over head cable above the plants and running twine down to the base of the plants attaching tomato clips to support.

As far as the insulation holding in the heat, every time you water the plant the aggregate will be cooled as it percolates down through the aggregate aerating it as well.

The foam sheeting I used I found in a store that sells laminate wood flooring and is put on the floor prior to putting the laminate down and comes in rolls. I used double sided carpet tape to attach to the container. And yes it did cut down the heat gain compared to a pot without the foam.

As Styrofoam Ice Chests are inexpensive go ahead and buy one and give it a test. Get yourself a soil thermometer and after planting a tomato in your favorite aggregate monitor the aggregate temperature during the day and see what you come up with.

Ami

Ami