View Single Post
Old March 15, 2007   #15
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

I have some F1s, though not quite what I expected. Both of the parents, Jaune Flammée and Paragon, are stable open-pollinated varieties so I expected to see a uniform first generation (F1), small and red in fact. I have two plants of the F1 and they are producing different tomatoes. One is medium-sized (that's a standard AA battery in the pic), orange with a pink internal blush, similar to Jaune Flammée, though the orange colouring isn't as striking and the flavour is good, but no more. The fruit also has green shoulders. The other is red and smallish (which is what I expected in the F1) with a rather elongated shape. Internally the colouring is a lovely rosy red and the flavour is very good.
The first looks more like what I'm after so that's the one I'll pursue into the F2. I'll probably grow a few seeds from the other just out of curiosity. Anyway, this all says to me that one or other (or perhaps both) of the original parents was itself crossed. Is that a reasonable conclusion given what I'm seeing in the F1?