View Single Post
Old October 21, 2018   #2583
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
We had a full blood ridge back for a couple of years. Sweetest dog we ever had. He just wandered up to the house one day looking hungry. We set a metal bowl of food out for him. He wasn't sure about us, so he picked the bowl up in his mouth and got a secure distance from us before setting the bowl down and eating. It took a few days, but he finally started eating on our deck. He loved to be loved. I don't think he ever spent a full night with us. He would wander off at sunset and reappear in a two or three days looking tired, dirty; and hungry. We tried to keep him, but he was determined to go on walkabout. He liked to sleep in the house, but wanted outside at sunset. He was a good friend for a couple of years and then he disappeared for good. We still talk about him and miss him. we would like to have another ridgeback friend, but I'm not sure a ridgeback can be "owned" by anyone. They just seem to want a place to rest and eat on their walkabout.
we had a few dogs like that growing up. I totally forgot about them until I read your story. They came in slat ribbed and open sores on their paws. stayed long enough to heal up and get some fat on them again and then they left... never to be seen again. On their way to home... wherever that happened to be. we were just a pitstop.