View Single Post
Old January 24, 2016   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Grape Arbors and Grapes.

Yesterday I was at the store looking for something and they had the grape plants out for sale.
So I bought four of them of different varieties.
They are Mars (black slip skin) Thompson Seedless (green) Flame (red) and Monukka (black).
They are planted in all four corners of the arbor between the raised beds in front by the corner posts supporting the arbor.
about 10 feet apart one way and 6 feet apart the other way.

I tried grapes a few years ago and the stock I bought didn't have one root on them but they grew and then died about 2 years later because of no water.
They were bought from Lowes.
Yes I planted them the right direction.
These I bought from Home Depot and they all had big bushy fresh roots growing on them.
They were advertised as 2 year old plants.
So I soaked them in a big pot of water in the house washed all of the dirt off dug holes spread the roots out and put some nice soil back in the planting holes.
There is no way these things will do without water now because they can drink from the raised beds.
I hope they all make it because I think it will be pretty cool to have three different colored grapes all growing on the same arbor.
They are also early mid and late season grapes this should allow me to eat grapes for a longer period of time.
In the pictures you are about to see I have green ribbons tied to where they are planted so I dont trip over them.
If anybody wants to post about their grapes and how they do it please feel free to put it here if you so desire, be my guest.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote