View Single Post
Old July 31, 2017   #14
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
Every "stable" variety of tomatoes is inbred to the point where there is essentially no meaningful heterozygosity left. With each successive generation there will be less genetic diversity to sample from. The upshot of this is that it would be most important to grow larger numbers in the early generations (F2, less so F3). Once you get a few generations down the line, the plants will be homozygous for most genetic loci and so each plant will be very similar to any other. Essentially we're managing and using drift to our ends, instead of avoiding it.

You only have to save seeds from one plant each generation, if you choose wisely which plant to save seeds from. I was growing out of one batch of seeds (F3s?) for one of my projects for several years (at about 4 plants a year) until I found a plant with better fruit last year. I'll probably be growing out of the seeds I saved from that plant for the next several years as well. I still have those older generations of seeds in storage if I later decide this lineage isn't turning out how I thought it might.
Darren, If you found a new and quite different segregation in an F4 growout, would you consider it to be like an F2 as far as stability? ie requiring another 5 or so gen to stabilize the new seg?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote