View Single Post
Old January 29, 2017   #15
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Pecker88, they are about 3 feet away, I could put them a little closer, which makes pretty seedlings, but I need a wide footprint to reach all of the trays. I will put up another light in about 10 days when I start another batch. Those are 600 watt.

Righand, the grow formula is a better formula for tomatoes. I use a 4 part fertilizer once plants get to the greenhouses, but for the seedling stage in the house FN works great. I have also used it on mature plants with Calcium- Magnesium supplements. However, it is not as perfect as the 4 part stuff, and is much more expensive. Lets say I can do 500 gallons of water with a gallon of FN, I could do 2500 gallons with the dry at about the same price.

Bigvanvader, I don't let them wilt, but I will let the top of the media dry out, this way I do avoid Pythium.
You have to watch letting tomatoes wilt, that will cause a disorder with the uptake of Ca, then you get a bunch of BER on your fruit. I am not sure if there is a link to that disorder with seedling wilt, but it is for sure linked to the wilting of fast growing plants with fruit on them, so I just avoid that at all stages.
I sell lots of tomato plants too, I have heard and seen some interesting things people do. Anytime I even think I am getting blamed for their gardening habits, I just take them to the production GH's, then they listen. LOL
You are spot on, it is all about management, every day.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote