View Single Post
Old October 14, 2017   #81
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have read back from the very beginning of this thread and not anywhere did I find why or the reason some people like roasted tomato sauce over simmered or boiled.

I may be stating the obvious to some but if you already know this then fine.
This is for people that dont know this.
I am the kind of person that wants to know the why of things and always have been.

First lets look at the tomato and other vegetables in the sauce.
For the most part they all contain natural sugar.
Sugar melts at 320F and caramelizes at 340F and above.
So roasting at 400F and above canalizes the sugars on the surface and to some extent below it.
The more you mix this up in a given amount of time for it to thicken will add more of that flavor to the sauce.

You will never get his kind of flavor from simmered down sauce but what you will get is a more fresh bright tomato flavor.
The more you let it thicken the higher the boiling point thus the big change in flavor as in homemade tomato paste not store bought that has sweeteners in it.

As for making a sweeter sauce in my opinion a person is far batter off using a sweet or semi sweet wine reduction or some sort of fruit juice or even fruit or brown sugar but not refined white sugar.
I made that mistake once and only once.
Another method to kill the acid taste and sweeten tomato products is to add a wee and I mean (wee) amount of backing soda.
You use too much and you will have food that tastes like the alkali flats.
Been there done that too.
Try a 16oz glass of tomato juice or V/8 juice with about 1/8th to 1/16th teaspoon of baking soda in it and see how sweet it becomes.
The flavor change is amazing.

And last but not least I like to add some Blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese to my sauce when I have it.

Both of the above will reduce heartburn to a very great extent.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote