View Single Post
Old April 11, 2012   #47
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

This thread is a fascinating read. I got caught looking up the links, reading and watching videos for the last few hours.
At one point it got me thinking about using the spent grains from my husband's beer brewing. He brews ALOT!

I found a link where there is a recipe using the spent grains but it is either not clearly written or more probably because of my english reading skills but I don't understand how to do it.

Can someone please explain to me where/when in this recipe he uses the beer grains?

In the barn, Flannery begins the process of making his own “EM-bokashi” out of waste grains donated from a local brewery in Novato.
First, Flannery has concocted a 50-gallon mixture of “extended EM” which is combined with the brewery waste to make the bokashi.

This liquid “EM-EX” mixture is formed by mixing 1 gallon of EM-1 concentrate, 1 gallon of molasses (to activate the life forms), 2 tablespoons of EM-X (a highly concentrated form of EM), and two tablespoons of EM ceramic powder. The rest of the 50-gallon drum is filled with water, sealed, and left to ferment anaerobically for fourteen days.

After two weeks have passed, the next step is to ferment the bokashi in another 50-gallon drum by adding two parts wheat bran to one part rice bran, 1 tablespoon of molasses, one tablespoon of EM-1, and four gallons of the activated EM-EX solution. The solution is combined with the dried bran and fermented for eight days.

At this point, Flannery’s “beautiful blonde bokashi” is ready to use on the farm, but can be stored in the airtight containers for up to
a year’s time.

Thanks
Lyne
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote