View Single Post
Old July 2, 2017   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I try to bake a lot of bread. More in winter than summer. I am going to try sourdough just for the heck of it. When I bake my own I actually add gluten because it tastes better and the texture is much better. I really don't understand the rise of the gluten free fad. From what I have been able to read, testing for gluten intolerance is fairly difficult and can be expensive.

The number of gluten free products have exploded to take advantage of those who equate gluten free with healthy. Just a decade ago, gluten-intolerance levels were at 1 in 2500 worldwide. Today, it’s at 1 in 133. Is our food system and all the preservatives causing a problem we didn't use to have? Or are too many folks just jumping on a bandwagon.

A few years back there were no peanut allergies to speak of, no milk allergies and not many wheat allergies. Now its seems like everyone either has or wants to have an allergy. Still less than 1% are gluten intolerant. Hopefully I will be able to continue to eat the bread I bake and not become one of the 1%.
Sometimes I feel left out, I dont have anything.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote