View Single Post
Old April 1, 2017   #515
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post

Update:

Second day in a row of the fertilizer treatment (push portion), tomorrow I will do one more, and then plain water (pull portion) for three days in a row. The tomatoes are looking great, I don't see any issues with them, other than the white fly I sprayed for again today. I am thinking this vegetable solution is perfectly fine.
I would recommend that you only give them the fertilizer at the recommended dose more than once a week only if the plants are looking underfed. I ruined a small bed of tomatoes by feeding them too often for too long and the roots never developed.

If the plants are still very young I would only give them about half strength once a week until they get about two feet tall then go with the full strength but not more often than once a week. If you want to feed them more often then use a more diluted ratio for constant feeding.

I think you should go ahead and order some TTF for when the blooms really start coming on in order to get more fruit set. I just ordered some today and if they ship as fast as they usually do I should have it by early next week. Some of my plants are already blooming and most are only just over a food tall. I will start the TTF at 1 1/2 tsp to the gallon until the plants get a bit bigger and then will move to the recommended 1 Tbs/gal. Once the plants get larger they need constant monitoring to evaluate when and how often to give them fertilizer. In container plants they need it more often than in ground plants; but still I like to go by how they look to determine feeding.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote