View Single Post
Old September 19, 2018   #94
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Temps have been mid 70's to low 80's during the day. So, full sun and heat is not absolutely needed. It does speed it along though. That, and having moisture underneath helps too.
Hot weather is quite relative, mid 70's to low 80's is considered hot summer here. Last summer was a freak one with some days at lower 90's.

I have kept the tarp on ground whole summer. When all spring planting was done I moved the 8x25m tarp next to my vegetable plot on area, which was growing perennial quack grass. I hope the summer heat has killed all the grass roots and the annual weed seeds too. By alternating the location of the tarp every other year, I am hoping to eventually get a weed free garden. I am also hoping that moving the tarp next spring on the area where garlic and onions was grown this summer, will prevent the onion flies from emerging from the soil.

I think that this tarp has now become my best gardening tool for growing vegetables. It is like the slow cooker; to get good results with little effort, you just need to have time for it to do its magic.

Sari