View Single Post
Old July 10, 2007   #16
hald
Tomatovillian™

Still averaging over 100 degrees and having to water several times a day. I gave them some hydroponic nutrients and repeated shots of calcium to ward off BER. So far so good. The plants are very productive, though the white flies are getting them; I'm trying to stay organic, but I'm going to use safer soap on them today.

The Sunbrust and sweet 100's are the best tasting. The early girls are huge (plants and toms). I have a couple labeled "large red" that aren't very good for eating, more like paste tomatoes I think.

The eggplants, planted just like the toms, are so tall and loaded with eggplants they want to fall over!

Next planting I'm going to try a combination earthbox and ebb&flow method. I'll remove the water reservoirs from the pots, set them in the ebb &flow trays, and use a timer and pump to water them, keeping the water level at approximately the same depth as it is now. Maybe this will solve the watering in heat problem? I'm going to plant a couple new toms and I'll let you know how it works out.
-Hal
hald is offline   Reply With Quote