View Single Post
Old March 29, 2023   #12
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

The "pepper trees" are probably Peruvian or Brazilian peppertrees which were introduced as ornamental trees, although they unfortunately tend to be invasive. These are in the Anacardiaceae (sumac/poison oak/poison ivy/cashew/mango) family. The Peruvian peppertree is one source of "pink peppercorns" (which obviously are not true pepper; true pepper is a vine from a different family). Some people are allergic to thie family in general and should avoid even the edible species like sumac, cashews, and mango.

Peppertrees get quite large--40+ feet tall--and in California are evergreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Sunsugar...my favorite cherry tomato has proven to be even better than I thought. I grow sungold and sunsugar each year, and the flavor and split resistance goes to sunsugar each year, with production probably an edge to sungold. Sungold throws more per truss, a bit smaller though.

It would pretty neat to have a sunsugar tomato stick around all year. A decade or so back I read a koontz novel (the one and only ever), and the only thing I really remember about the story was that there were "pepper trees" there in SoCal that stayed alive year round.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote