View Single Post
Old May 19, 2010   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Has anyone grown the Halladay's Mortgage Lifter from SSE Public catalog? They sold out this year, so I assume it is being grown extensively or they had very few seeds to sell. If anyone has grown Halladay's and Estler's could you give a comparison please. It's interesting that both are said to have passed through Chuck Wyatt's hands at one point or another.
I've grown the Estler quite a few times but not the Halladay one.

I traced back the Halladay and it to the 1994 SSE Yearbook by Craig LeHoullier, but I think it was offered earlier, I just didn't take the time to look for my 1987 Yearbook, who got it from an SSE member in PA in 1987 from PA HA J and since Craig said original source I assume that the person's last name was Halladay. Craig gave it a fine review.

At one time Chuck was listing a lot of different strains. But folks can view strains, I think, in two ways. Just having a name associated with it , as in Halladay, Glick's, etc., usually reflects the name of the person who listed it or got it from someone with that name while to me a strain is something that has some subtle but reproducible differences from the original, so the only two strains of ML that I think are true strains are Mullens, which is pale leaf, and Estler.

I know a few folks who at one time grew out all the ML strains and found essentally no difference, except for the Mullens one and I think the Estler one as well, but can't be sure.

I can't help but wonder if the seeds for Halladay at SSE went quickly b'c Amy Goldman in her book featured many strains, some not even available to the public, and as I recall Halladay was one of them. Perhaps that raised the interest level in ML strains that others didn't even know existed. iI know I was contacted by two folks who asked where they could get this or that strain, but there was no commercial seed source for them b'c they are in the SSE stock collection only. They probably were listed in much earlier Yearbooks.