Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old February 12, 2017   #73
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
No , Tracy, I don't think that it is too late. Don't let the unusually warm weather fool you. Our LFD here in Southwest Columbus County is around April 10th.
I have tried to push the season, as an experiment, to possibly plant out SOME tomatoes in March , weather permitting. I have yet to start my second, main batch. I will do that maybe next weekend. But I am done with peppers and eggplants. They are slow growing.
Find a large tulip poplar near you. I'm sure there are plenty of them up there because I saw some of the largest ones I have ever seen in NC. Keep an eye on it and when it starts leafing out good it is time to set out tomatoes. I have been using this for my signal since that blizzard back in the early 1990s when every other tree and plant got fooled. I lost everything in my garden and all my fruit trees lost everything that year.
So far the tree has never missed for me but it will sometimes be a week or so late but I have never found it to be early. I just wait til I see green buds popping up all over the tree and then plant. I don't use it for planting beans or squash because it will still be too frosty for those and a few other crops. For them I wait til the nights are consistently in the 50s or above.

Yesterday was forecast high was 77 but it got to 83.8 and today is forecast to be 79; but it will probably be hotter. Thursday night it is supposed to be in the 30s. We sure can have some erratic temperature changes down here in the winter and spring I just hope we don't have a bark busing cold front come in before winter is over.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote