Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
Looking at the picture on page 2 of this scan of a 1934
newsletter, the original looks indeterminate to me:

http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/d...atorelease.pdf

(And the 1943 reselection would have been the determinate
version.)
Dice, I looked at that picture myself but Just couldn't tell b/c I don't know if it was one of the selections or what they ended up releasing in 1934 and I couldn't tell how close the plants were planted.

And it is 1934 as the article notes, not 1943, and it occurred to me after I went out to the LR that it could be the case that Fedco flipped the 1934 date to 1943 b'c I think everywhere I've looked the date of 1934 is given.

I didn't come back to sugggest that the dates were flipped b' I just HAD to finish reading this great medieval murder mystery to find out who the murderer was. My guess was wrong.

Both parents are indeterminate, that's Marglobe and JTD, so I don't know how the genetics played out in terms of how many selections they made at each generation and how many of those selections they pursued. All I'll say is that if the cross was done in 1928 that's pretty quick to come up with stable OP. it's taken me longer than that to dehybridize an F1 hybrid to the OP state, but yes, sometimes shorter as with Ramapo. It just depends on the traits being selected for.

I hadn't remembered the plant habit of JTD so went to Victory Seeds where I knew Mike listed it. And chuckled again as I read the blurb b'c JTD ( John Thomas Dorrance) was a Cornell grad and he chose the red and white color scheme of Cornell for his Campbell soup cans. I chuckled b'c I'm also a Cornell grad and I'd forgotten that piece of trivia.