Thread: Fusarium Wilt
View Single Post
Old July 16, 2017   #225
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Curious to learn about grafting, I came across an article in The Atlantic, according to which "you don't need to order those expensive rootstock seeds. Many hybrid tomato plants are bred with all kinds of disease resistance, like those Mountain Magic tomatoes that so captured my heart. In fact, the Mountain lineage of tomatoes, including Mountain Magic, includes some of the most disease-resistant plants there are. They make great rootstock." Here's a link to the article: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...esults/251742/

I also read on this blog that Celebrity F1 also works as rootstock: https://www.tyrantfarms.com/tomato-g...loom-tomatoes/

I don't graft my plants, but perhaps those with experience can chime in. Those rootstock seeds seem awfully pricey.

Best of luck with the life changes!
It was Dr.David Francis of Ohio State who found that Celebrity was great for root stock. Again,not resistance,but higher tolerance

And yes, all three hybrids,Mountain Magic, Plum Regal and Smarty,which were bred by Dr.RandyGardner, had lots of tolerances bred in,especially the first two.

Bejo seeds were supposed to do the seed production for all 3,and there was one problem after the other,primarily weather,so Randy sent me 3 huge bags of seeds for all three so I could do a seed offer here at Tville, which I did, and those seeds were very popular for those who wanted to capture some of the tolerances.

I didn't ask him to send those seeds,he's still a TV member, but he wanted to get them out there for some folks to grow them, and I was glad to do that for him.I remember that Smarty ended up at Johnny's but don't remember offhand where the other two went for commercial distribution.

Carolyn