View Single Post
Old March 9, 2018   #4
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
Not sure if this helps.. But, I'm growing in 15 gallon fabric bags this year. I'll be growing a mini cantaloupe variety called Lilliput Hybrid melon. Burpee seed. The watermelon I'll be growing in the same size bag is the Mini love Hybrid watermelon again by Burpee seed. I like trying new varieties. I'm sure other will have great old varieties that will better suit your needs. I'm in zone 5. Happy gardening.
Thanks for the suggestions Tim.It sure seems that I ran across a post detailing a members success with cool season Cantaloupes,but darned if I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
I'm also a cool coastal gardener.

I have tried about 40 kinds of melons.

The ones that produced ripe fruit:
Farthest North Mix - this was developed by Tim Peters
Sweet Granite - produced 7 melons on one vine.
Thanks for the information LDiane.

I read somewhere that the Sweet Granite was a good one.Nice to have confirmation from another "Coastie" that it does well.I'll get some seed of that one for sure.

I also read a post by Andrey_BY,where he suggested a Russian wtermelon variety called Kholodok,that I plan to try.

We have nice weather here in the spring and summer,but it pretty much stays in the mid to upper 70's the majority of the season.We seem to get the 90's for only a day or 2 each year.

Thanks again for the suggestions Tim and LDiane.