View Single Post
Old September 2, 2018   #26
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

My okra came on stronger this past week since it dried up some and got a little hotter. Getting some very nice 6-7" pods while still tender with clemson spineless, and not picking any until they are at least 4". Two years ago with less rain they had to be picked smaller before they got tough. The heaviest producers are the blocks of 4 5 6 plants that I filled in as space became available in mid-late spring. The big row that went in latest, mid-June has big plants, still with big full leaves, but they are not as yet putting out okra pods on every plant. Seems like too much shade in that continuous row and not enough flower exposure, but maybe they are just not old enough? That row is running ENE to WSW so I guess it shades itself some in the morning and evening. I love eating okra but I can't say I understand the plants.

My grandpop would grow okra back in 50 60 70s around here. It needed to be started under a board to germinate early enough and from what I understand good production was still hit or miss by the year. Next year I will devote some space to get it in earlier, and may well try blocks with spaces instead of continuous rows for more light. Last year my better patch was a big keyhole block, compared to two parallel double rows. It is also quicker to pick as there is less hide and seek.

I don't know how this new stuff would do up here, but it would be great to compare it with the old standby.

Last edited by JRinPA; September 2, 2018 at 02:42 PM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote