View Single Post
Old December 12, 2018   #57
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Update - December 12

Thought I would give an update on how things are progressing:

Sun Chocola - Fall 2018 - Better than ever - only 1 plant but tomatoes have LONG Vine hang time. I need to get a clone for replacement of something in spring.

Sun Gold - Grown forever and same as always.

Sun Cherry - growing both types from SeedsNSuch although I lost track of which was which. Also growing one type from Osborne. OK - I have NEVER seen such fruit set EVER for a good size cherry. Size when ripe is good. One of the SeedsNSuch varieties does split if left on the vine too long. I'm guessing it is the cheaper one since Osborne only sells one type now.

TomatoBerry - Very few are ripe yet; but definitely looks like a strawberry.

Cherry Bomb - Earlier ripe tomatoes than Nectar but Nectar has recently blown it away in every category.

Nectar - What a surprise! This one is what I thought Cherry Bomb would be; long hang time; great taste, and beautiful red.

5 Star Grape - Bred by Johnnies and pretty much as advertised; few seeds and meaty. I need to leave it on the vine longer to see if it gets sweeter. My husband said it was good for cooking though. I also thought these would be great for dehydrating.

SunPeach - My standout from F'17-F'18. Picked the last ones of that season in July and dehydrated them. This year started later than the others b/c they were such a fast grower last year and need to bring plants back from Tennessee on Oct 1.
This year, just picking the first ripe ones.

SunOrange - started later also - same as SunPeach. But have been eating for weeks already. I have to say SunOrange was the first GREAT tasting tomato of the season.

GoldenCherry - Another SunGold variation. Like a SunGold that doesn't split.

SunGrape - still waiting on ripe tomatoes

SunGreen - Still waiting on ripe tomatoes

SunLemon was he weakest of all the Tokita varieties so got a pretty crappy sun spot. What I can say, the small plant is loaded - more tomatoes than leaves.

Sakura - started really late and just setting fruit now.

Esterina - loaded and just starting to ripen; I don't know why it hasn't been early like other years.

---
Brad's Atomic Grape - Set lots of fruit, nothing near ripe; typical for being late

Garden Gem - Grown again - last time when it first was introduced and I thought it was the holy grail of tomatoes because it was early, etc (until others came in and I lost interest) This year, the tomatoes look really large but not nearly as many as before and not early. Grown both times in an EB.

Candy Icicle - Much less production than the others listed; but one plant grown in an EB was SunCherry that has taking over. Picked my first today

Maglia Rosa - 2nd or 3rd time growing; never good luck before but this time, picking much earlier - I use to wait until what I thought was ripe. These taste much better than the other years.

Will get a picture of all the red/pink ones to distinguish from each other.

First picture is 5 star grape
2nd picture is the 3 SunGold Varieites, SunCherry, and Nectar, SunChocola although they may be on the bottom, and a few maglia rosa.

Last picture is how large these cherry tomato plants are:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5stargrape.jpg (260.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0767.jpg (176.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg CherryTomatoes.jpg (533.3 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by Barb_FL; December 12, 2018 at 11:42 PM. Reason: adding one more picture
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote