View Single Post
Old December 13, 2018   #58
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I have grown some of these 3 years ago, and I think tomatoberry is overall my favourite.

Tomatoberry belongs basically in the grape category due to crunchier texture, thick walls and little seeds. Probably good for drying, also skins aren't that tough. Production is very good pruned to one stem compared to Sungold for example (much much more fruit per truss), shelf life is also good. I think the taste is balanced and good, but it has that 'novel' grape tomato taste which not everybody likes apparently (probably gene screened). Requires high K for optimal taste. Very tall plants with long leaves.

Golden cherry is close to sungold but lacks some acidity/more fruity, didn't really like it. Plants have shorter internodes and even thicker stems and make suckers at an insane rate.

Sungrape has the best taste of all, strong and high sugar/high acid. And also nice looking, dark red fruit. Unfortunately the production is low (fruit is small (10 gram maybe) and few fruits per truss, at most 20). The plants are insanely tall with thin stems and long internodes.

Suncherry is solid cherry, nice shiny fruit, good texture, big trusses, plant is reasonably compact and vigurous. My problem was that it became way too sweet at the end of the season although it started with a really good balanced taste.

Sakura had insane production of very large cherries (quite larger than black cherry) on very solid plants. Otherwise was not that impressed with the fruit. Maybe it required more K to keep up with the production.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote