View Single Post
Old March 24, 2007   #1
tomgirletc
Tomatovillian™

Default Advice: SoCal topsoil & materials for raised beds?

Hello....I am buying a house with a decent sized back yard, scheduled to close early April and the first weekend in the house I am going to try and build some raised beds and get some tomatoes, veggies, herbs in. The house is in the Highland Park neighborhood, NE Los Angeles.

I'd like to build with composite wood deck scraps, quite a bit of fencing wire, and will need a large amount of topsoil, compost, mulch etc. Of course, I'm interested in doing it the cheapest way possible. So any ideas for these materials is much appreciated.

I've been searching both craigslist Los Angeles and Orange county but not scoring on deck scraps yet.

Where might the cheapest place be to get a great big load of topsoil?

Has anyone use the LA city distribution compost and mulch? Is it decent, at least for my first growing season?

I've crossposted in the GW tom & California forums too to maximize response.

I'm going to buy mostly from Laurel's Heirlooms as long as she still has what I want since I haven't started seeds in my gardening adventures yet and won't have enough time this season. This is what I hope I have room for:

Anna Russian
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Azoychka
Brandywine Sudduth
Carmello
Cherokee Purple
Earl's Faux
Green Giant
Isis Candy
Lime Green Salad
Matina
Opalka
Paul Robeson
Rutgers
Sun Gold

Last year, I was a brand new gardener, I had pots on my apt. patio. Brandywine, Cherokee Purple way outperformed my two hybrids (Big Beef and Champion), I didn't know what I was doing when I picked out my plants. This time around have learned a lot more but both of those heirlooms did so well for me, I wouldn't do it without them this year.

Depending on how much space I end up with, other plantings hoped for here and there: Basil, mint, cilantro, lettuces, bell peppers, hot peppers, musk melon & watermelon, cucumbers, carrots, celery. I already have an Avocado tree, Meyer Lemon tree, and Peach tree on the property. Would like to get in some blackberry and raspberry vines soon too. I've ordered a few used books from Amazon on SoCal Gardening, edible landscape, companion planting so it's going to be a very exciting time for me. Another thing I need to figure out is what my composting setup is going to be like.

Good thing the house itself will need only a little work because I'm going to be busy outside this summer!

Thanks everyone! Hope you are all kicking off the season well!
tomgirletc is offline   Reply With Quote