View Single Post
Old March 1, 2013   #5
Wayne C
Tomatovillian™

Default Two sites come to mind...

These sites are two that come immediately to mind that I've used recipes from:
www.homemade-wine-making-guide.com/tomato-wine.html
http://makinghomemadewineandbeer.blo...mato-wine.html
Ps. There's hundreds, maybe thousands... most very good.

The basic process is pretty much identical to grape and fruit wine recipes with an eye to high acid content which can be regulated by a number of different means depending on the recipe. Personally I like to make it as a mix (a sort of sangria thing) that balances things out and is still almost completely tomato flavored.

One recipe I really like is a green tea/tomato wine I've spent years tinkering with. Very unique taste.

As I posted earlier I grow my own grapes so I make what I call a hybrid wine more often than not and include a small portion of grapes from my vineyard (or the grocery store or the wine beer supply house just up the road) to make a mostly tomato fruit wine. But in reality You don't actually have to do more than tweak other fruit wine or grape recipes.

But if you are making a true ALL TOMATO WIne then you need to add tannins and unless you are using a high Brix tomato like Suncherry extra or Sunsugar hybrid you need to adjust/increase the sugar for most recipes using your handy hydrometer (used to measure sugar/potential alcohol).

NOTE: I'm growing both of these this year specifically for making wine by the way...

Is this helpful?

If at some point I have more time I'll post an entire blow by blow account of what I do. But heres something REALLY surprising... in your search engine type in three words: tomato wine recipes !!!
The number of great sites that come up is too many to count! Tomato wine is actually in some countries and among home winers (pun) quite popular and has been made forever. WHen I did it for the first time years ago I was amazed and dumbfounded.

Or try: Homemade wine recipes. Most recipes are adjustable for tomatoes. You wont believe how many great sites and 10's of thousands of recipes that come up. Recipes, HOW TO... all sorts of useful get started tomato info.

Some of the better forums?
In my humble opinion...
www.homewinemaking.co.uk/forum/

and my favorite...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/
But of course as I said there are many, and this isnt anything but a personal opinion. As I said there is just too many to list.

Hope this is helpful.

Hey, here's an idea! Maybe I'll have everyone over and break open a 5 or 10 gallon carboy and we can talk tomatoes this fall...

Would that count as a TASTING????

Last edited by Wayne C; March 1, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
Wayne C is offline   Reply With Quote