View Single Post
Old January 6, 2018   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sundog F4:

I was actually surprised at how different these two fruit are. I expected there to be a strong linkage between determinate and Beta, so that determinate would also be a diagnostic for B/B black. But fruit #1 was a lot more orange especially just under the skin, with green gel and brown looking flesh, while #2 had a much redder interior, that made me wonder if it was only B/- .
The taste of #1 was really interesting with carroty notes, but I was not impressed with the amount of cork and shape irregularities. #2 had a better shape but the unique taste wasn't there.
At its best I really enjoyed the perfectly ripened #1 the most, but I had a lot of problems getting that "perfect ripe" condition. Some fruit that were waiting in the dish for tasters to visit were subjected to a couple of really hot days and turned into a mushy horror show. My fault for not having a cool room setup this year, but still it's a deadly trait IMO for a large fruit that has to be eaten at one precise moment to enjoy it.... and another reason for this one to go to the back burner for me. I don't have as many uses for, and don't like the amount of risk involved with very large fruit. Don't like shape defects and not sure about the genetics.. How difficult is it to breed that out? Something I may find out in the future, because I think a cross is needed to bring this closer to my personal 'ideal fruit'. Smaller, shapelier, more reliable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SundogF4.JPG (220.8 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg SundogF4-sliced.jpg (296.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg SundogF4-2.JPG (205.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Sundog2-F4-sliced.JPG (109.2 KB, 143 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote