View Single Post
Old July 19, 2014   #11
tedln

Many grocery stores still provide samples of products like cheese and fruit on little platters with a clear plastic dome cover and toothpicks. Do most of the non sampling rules apply only to farmers markets or everywhere food products are sold?

My wife loves fresh, sweet grapes which we often purchase at the grocery store. It's impossible to tell from sight alone if a bunch of grapes will be sweet or tart. We always sample them. It prevents tossing bunches of grapes in the trash when we get them home and discover they are as sour as a lemon.

We rarely purchase peaches or plums at the grocery store because they are usually tasteless and I don't want to attempt to sample them in the grocery store. Sampling seems to be customary at roadside stands and farmers markets. I probably will not purchase them if I can't taste them first.

I sold watermelons as a kid and always had a long slender knife to cut a triangular shaped plug from the melon so a customer could sample the melon. I haven't seen that done in many years.

Ted