View Single Post
Old February 23, 2012   #19
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Taryn,

Have you grown Orange Russion 117 before? If so I'd love to know how it performed for you. My better half requires me to plant Pineapple. It is good but late and not terribly productive so I am on the lookout for a substitute. This year I plan to grow several bicolors to trial to see if any will be earlier, more productive, comparable in flavor.

I grew Northern Lights last year and it produced a ripe tomato 2 or maybe 3 weeks before the Pineapple and it was good. But that was the only ripe tomato from NL the entire season. There were several more greenies that wouldn't ripen and Pineapple ended up being more productive (but still low). I am trying NL again since last year was a horrible year.

I plan to try Gold Medal, Golden Cherokee, Little Lucky, Northern Lights (again) and Rhodes Heirloom. I won't get my hopes up but I am hoping that they will all be as good as Pineapple and maybe a little earlier and more productive.
No, I haven't, and I was really looking forward to trying Orange Russian 117. Funny you should ask about that, because it was the only variety that I didn't have seeds of! I must have misplaced my packet of Orange Russian 117... sigh, I was looking forward to that. I replaced it with Pork Chop, because I'd love to try as many Wild Boar Farms varieties as possible! I actually haven't really grown many bicolors (except for Green Zebra, which is more of a striped variety, but is very productive and has some pretty big tomatoes!). This year I'm trying lots of Wild Boar Farm's bicolors- the reason I don't grow many bicolors is we've got a terrible climate and bicolors don't do so great in cooler weather. But... there's always the hoophouse.

The bicolors I'm growing this year are:

Isis Candy (cherry, so I don't know if it counts or not)
Large Barred Boar
Old German (have you tried Old German? I heard from someone in Seattle that it grows well here, so I assume it is an earlier bicolor. You might want to try it!)
Pink Berkely Tie Dye
Virginia Sweets

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote