View Single Post
Old February 17, 2020   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I don't blanch broccoli for 2 minutes, unlike other things like sweet corn or beans.
I blanch in serving size pieces, putting the more solid stem pieces without florets into the boiling water first, when the water returns to a boil, I put in the florets, dunking them with a spoon so that they all get submersed at some point. I remove them when they have turned the darker green, maybe after just 30 seconds to a minute, tops. I have very cold tap water from our deep well, so they go into several changes of cold water in a dishpan sized container until they are cool enough to drain and bag up. I believe freezing itself causes some limpness, so they will never be as crisp as fresh, but I think reducing the blanch time helps.
Thanks dd. I may try that if my fourth planting does well. I have already given away or used all the heads in my third planting. I may get some good side shoots to try it with though since those are mostly Arcadia which have given me the best side shoot production the last few years.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote