View Single Post
Old April 2, 2007   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default any garlic experts here?

I planted garlic last fall and once the ground froze I mulched it with 6" of shredded leaves. I know the garlic will grow up thru the mulch but is it going to retain too much moisture and cause rotting or disease?
I grew garlic just 2 seasons about 10 years ago. Not sure if I mulched in the 1st season and results were ok. The 2nd season I did mulch but not sure if it was grass clippings or leaves. I left the mulch in place to retain moisture and suppress weeds. I don't remember but it may have been rainy a lot, the point is by june the plants were not looking healthy, leaves were not a healthy blue green but were a little yellowish and paler than normal, perhaps they had spots, not sure. I think the mulch held too much moisture around the plants and they developed a problem. Yields were poor and I gave up on garlic.
This past fall I planted a 4' X 12' bed 6" on center so I don't think it will be easy to remove it later in say june but I could. Worse yet would be to remove it from the base of the plant leaving the mulch in place to retain moisture and suppress weeds. That would be a royal pain!
I would never mulch onions, tho they are alliums too, and I have good results growing onions always but most of the onion is above the soil unlike garlic which is completely below the soil.
I have read to leave the mulch in place - what do you do if you mulch the bed????
Tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote