View Single Post
Old February 8, 2018   #12
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Bower, thanks for the input. Keeping in mind, I would only use the product during dark hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My understanding of row cover is that it is meant to be placed against the ground, so as to conserve the slightly above freezing air coming off the unfrozen earth. It is still not much of an insulator. I don't even think they give you an r-value for it, so the value would probably be about the same as plastic, or layers of plastic, which is what I would suggest. One layer of 6-mil is about r=.6 to .8 and a double layer is about r= 1.6. I don't think it even matters that much that the plastic be 6-mil. I would just buy a bunch of painter's plastic drop cloths and use those in layers. If they hardly ever see the sun, it won't matter that they lack UV inhibitors.

And oh yeah, don't let the leaves of the plants touch the plastic. They really don't like that.
Thank you for your input on the use. Something I have never thought of. It may just be more effective at ground level.

Painters plastic is exactly what I used in that photo up above.
Yeah, I had a few leaves get damaged when they touched the plastic during a spell of extreme cold that we had.

Maye a combo of the two would be better then just one or the other. Row cover against the plants, then plastic on top.

There has to be some better way for those of us who do this, then to run heat. Or run excessive heat. I didnt bother last year to keep track of my propane receipts, I really wish I would have.

I did do a google search and came across several threads here where it was discussed, about what temp to protect seedlings. The opinions and line of thinking is all over on that one.

I agree in general though, that the seedlings need to be hardened off. Vigorously.

Might just have to put in the extra effort this year. At least with a High Tunnel structure, then extra row cover or plastic (whichever) the chilly "wind factor" is removed. Adding in the removal of humidity buildup might just be a winner.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote